Saturday, November 7, 2009

Better Lenses

Though I've been extremely poor recently, I've been going around forums, reading and sort of getting the feel of the lens market. Trying to sort of gauge the amount of money I need to spend on lenses, and look for alternatives to ones I've been hyped about.

I found this common question, or rather this issue of "Why do I need better glass?", or "Why do I need that extra f0.4" (when comparing f1.4 to 1.8). Well, I think most photographers know this inherently, but somehow can't find the exact, correct words for it.

The answer is simple. Opportunity. This, I dare say for most professional photographers where that one shot brings in the dough, is the essence for shedding 3 to 7 times the price for better glass. Of course, shooting at f1.4 has many issues going for it (speaking of Nikkor lenses) as you read the reviews for these fast lenses, but given a situation those may be negligable. That extra reach might be all you need~!

For me, the choice is really clear. Cheap = Good. HAHAHA... alright not exactly, but I can live without that added f0.4, and just deal with it with my 50mm f1.4 (awesome cos I'm using it with DX format, but can carry it forward to FX).

Now I'm keeping my eye on the AF 85mm f/1.8D, which will be (with conversion to my 1.5 crop factor) 127.5mm. Perfect for portraits of further objects ^.^

No comments:

Post a Comment