Monday, January 4, 2010

Music Photography (Techniques:2)

Alright, now that I'm awake and all that, noticed that I might have started on the wrong foot. Hahaha... No matter! Whatever I'm uploading here is going into another word document on my computer, which I'll compile and eventually upload one shot or something...

Aperture

It can almost be seen as an obsession between music photographers that a large aperture lens is a typical must have! The AF 50mm f/1.8D, and AF 85mm f/1.8D are probably the first on the list for the budget conscious shooter. Maybe even the additional wide-angle (which won't exactly be wide angle, but at least wider the the above-mentioned) AF 35mm f/2D.

Understanding the consequences of aperture size is vital before one ventures into the realm of lenses with a constant aperture throughout length of the zoom. Having such a feature is definitely good to have, but assess your needs before dropping the bomb!

When I first started out low light photography, specifically music photography, my understanding was simple. Switch to the AF 50mm f/1.8D, (by the way, I almost always only use manual mode, cos I like to be in control) turn aperture to 1.8, before playing with shutter speed, before having my ISO as a last resort.

Loaning the AF-S VR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED changed a lot of my perspective on photography. Throughout my (arguably) first music gig shoot, I was using f/4 (greater zoom = shallow depth of field) so that I would get arguably sharper images all around. Using f/2.8 was really a matter of REALLY close up and single-pointed sharpness. I made no fuss in turning up my camera to ISO 800 (which, for me, is normally defaulted at 200), as I kept my shutter speed at 1/50 of a second to freeze motion (They weren't really moving around the stage that quickly).

Thing about music photography that even I made the mistake of was that it would be dark, like REALLY REALLY dark. That's not the case! The audience needs to see the performer too! Some form of light(s) will be present! The only exception would be at the audience! Which would not be lighted up for obvious reasons.

So for this section, really, I won't assess for the individual. But rather, I'd advice one to go ahead and spend a little to loan the lens of your dream, and assess your needs based on it. For those residing in Singapore, like me! You can go ahead to this place, Camera Rental Centre. It has great rates and rather speedy service.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete